[Invisible Children Music: We firmly believe that music has a necessary role in giving social movements tremendous amounts of momentum. It is a universal language, and at Invisible Children, it's important for us to be a part of that language.]
Invisible Children celebrated the launch of the 15th National Tour this weekend. 15 times, an incredibly dedicated and humble group of idealistic people jumped head first into almost every corner in the United States and Canada. And they’re coming to you, for the 15th time. They are relentless in their pursuit. They are fresh in their spirit. They are undeniably some of the most honorable, inspiring, and fun people I’ve had the privilege of being around, for the 14th time. Here’s to you Invisible Children roadies, both present and past. Cheers.
This little mixtape can be found HERE. And be sure to support the artists that you fall in love with. We all know they deserve it. Let us know on twitter @invisible_music what your favorite songs are. Without further adieu…
01. TIGERTOWN – “LIONS & WITCHES” // I will continue saying that the music coming out of Australia is top notch. The best. These guys are new to me, and I can’t get enough.
02. DARK DARK DARK – “TELL ME” // The opening track to be released from Dark Dark Dark‘s third album, Who Needs Who (OCT 2), “Tell Me” will make you want to come back for more. Just wait for October. You can do it.
03. MENOMENA – “PLUMAGE” // Out on 9/18 on legendary label Barsuk Records, this track takes me back to 2007, when you heard their jam “Wet and Rusting” on a Schools for Schools video.
04. THE JUNGLE GIANTS – “SHE’S A RIOT” // Another Aussie sensation, I dare you not to shake the shoulders your mama gave you.
05. ADMIRAL FALLOW – “SQUEALING PIGS” // In anticipation for this Scottish band’s visit to San Diego in October, I had to throw this track on. You’re welcome Frightened Rabbit boys.
06. ANNIE AND THE BEEKEEPERS – “LIGHT AT THE END” // I’m glad Annie reached out to us recently because we were able to discover this gem of a song, not to mention the fact that half of her band are members of IC Music faves Spirit Family Reunion. Enjoy this with a cup of tea and a spoonful of Steinbeck.
07. ALPINE – “VILLAGES” // Yet again, our Aussie friends make an notable entrance. Thanks to our dear friend Christina V. for the share. Repeat shoulder moves from track #4.
08. HUSKY – “HISTORY’S DOOR” // Maybe you’ve heard me talking about Australian music? This track will make you want to foot-tap your way into King’s Canyon near Yosemite. Just me?
09. RIGHT AWAY, GREAT CAPTAIN!– “FUR STOP CARING” // From Andy Hull’s (Manchester Orchestra frontman) newest record The Church Of The Good Thief, you’re going to want to repeat this song a few times to capture its’ lyrical point and genius. Sometimes you need to be serenaded.
10. CASE WORK – “AMAZON” // As recommended by IC’s Social Media intern Claire Pendergrast, I couldn’t agree more that they’ll be climbing the indie music blog chart’s quite soon. Do those exist? Billboard?
11. BAND OF HORSES – “SLOW CRUEL HANDS OF TIME” // When I first heard this song (via Paste Magazine), I thought I was listening to Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young at Red Rocks Amphitheater on Colorado. I love the direction they’re taking in their career.
Don’t forget to enjoy your day. There’s only ONE September 10th, 2012.