(Background photo via Cosmic Dust)
September has always been the anticipated month in the world of fashion, with the release of the very coveted issue of Vouge. But for 2012, September seems to be the month of everything good currently happening in music. There are so many upcoming album releases and tour announcements that I couldn’t be more excited about. This mixtape reflects some of that. Enjoy and be sure to see each of them live after you fall in love.
Grab Monday Mini Mixtape #28 HERE.
- BAD BOOKS “Forest Whitaker” – Don’t let the first few seconds trick you, this isn’t a hip-hop mix. A collaboration project between Artist Ambassadors Andy Hull (Manchester Orchestra) and Kevin Devine, this single from their second album is set to release on October 9th.
- SLOW CLUB “Two Cousins” – An English folk-rock duo, this track was stolen from Mr. Laubbacher himself who stole it from Erin, a friend he worked with while filming a movie in Michigan this summer.
- BEN GIBBARD “Ichiro’s Theme” – We’ve all been waiting for a solo project from the guy behind Death Cab for Cutie and The Postal Service. It’s almost here (Oct 16 on Barsuk). This song is dedicated to former Seattle Mariner, Ichiro Suzuki, who was sadly (to some) sent to the Yankees.
- BENJAMIN FRANCIS LEFTWICH “Pictures” – Another songwriter from England, this guy has not stopped finding his way in to my rotation. Thanks to Keller for the recommendation.
- WILD CUB “Thunder Clatter” – I’m super excited about this collaboration between Nashville-artist Keegan DeWitt (MMM #17) and Jeremy Bullock. The debut album Youth was released just last week.
- THE ORWELLS “In My Bed” – Recommended by my brother Andrew and later confirmed by our friends from Rollo & Grady, this song has some real gritty surfer-rock action behind it.
- GROUP LOVE “Itching On A Photograph” – Dubbed a “Los Angeles freak-folk quintet”, Group Love quickly became a house-hold name in the last year, and this song proves why.
- DAUGHTER ”Smother” – I am ending the mix with a gloomy new ballad by Daughter, who showcased an event we were a part of at SXSW this last Spring. The song is out September 3 on iTunes and October 1 on vinyl via 4AD and Glassnote.